Anthony Pettis isn’t worried about the possibility of getting cut from the UFC.
Pettis takes on Alex Morono in a welterweight bout at UFC Vegas 17 this weekend as he looks to embark on a winning streak for the first time since 2014.
UFC 257: Poirier vs. McGregor 2 is this Saturday!
Stream every fight live on ESPN+ starting from 10 pm ET.
- Main event: Poirier vs. McGregor 2
- Co-main event: Hooker vs. Chandler
It will also be the final fight of his current UFC contract so it’s all the more important that Pettis comes away with not only a win, but a good performance.
For now, he’s not worried about his contract status — only on his upcoming fight.
“It is my last fight on the UFC contract,” Pettis told MMA Junkie. “Under my current contract. So we’re in negotiations. Not sure where we’re going from here.
“My team keeps asking me questions and trying to figure out what’s next, but I’m like, ‘Yo, I’m in such a good spot mentally that I don’t want to fog that vision with what’s next.’ Because if I think about what’s next I’m not in the present moment.”
Should Pettis lose, however, that would make it three defeats in his last four. And there is always the possibility that the 33-year-old could be among the 60 fighters the UFC plans to cut before the end of the year should that situation arise.
While it’s unlikely in reality, anything is possible in this sport. After all, nobody expected Yoel Romero to get cut even if he was 43.
That said, Pettis isn’t concerned by the prospect as he’s been in this position before.
“I think that the UFC is a great business,” Pettis said. “I’ve been part of this company for 12 years almost now. I’ve seen every stage of this company and I’ve been on the top of the top when I was getting on Wheaties box and was world champion.
“I’ve been fighting for my job when I had a three-loss losing streak from Rafael dos Anjos to Eddie Alvarez to Edson Barboza. I’ve been on the chopping block for a long time where if I let that mindset play in, there’s no coming back from that because that’s what you focused on.
“It’s a blessing for me to have this mindset right now with all the news about cuts and going to different promotions. I don’t feel pressure for that right now.”
The former UFC lightweight champion is coming off a highly-contentious unanimous decision victory over Donald Cerrone in May. That snapped a two-fight losing skid for Pettis who was previously outpointed by Nate Diaz and then submitted by Carlos Diego Ferreira.