Nothing can stay perfect in the MMA world forever. And we’ve been reminded of that with a Zabit Magomedsharipov (17-1) fight cancelation.
Order UFC 259 PPV early!
UFC 259 features THREE title fights on Saturday, March 6. Order the PPV now.
- Jan Blachowicz vs. Israel Adesanya 🏆
- Amanda Nunes vs. Megan Anderson 🏆
- Petr Yan vs. Aljamain Sterling 🏆
MMA Junkie has confirmed that the rising Russian featherweight superstar has been forced out of UFC Boston. At the October 18 event, Magomedsharipov was to feature in the co-main event opposite a fellow top prospect in Calvin Kattar.
According to the report, the UFC is hoping to re-make the fight for a future event with UFC Moscow being the most likely landing spot. That event takes place on November 9 and is headlined by Junior Dos Santos and Alexander Volkov.
Magomedsharipov, 28, currently rides an impressive 13 fight winning streak with five of those wins coming in the UFC. His last fight saw him record his biggest win to date with a unanimous decision nod over Jeremy Stephens in March.
As for his would-be opponent in Kattar, his record as of late has been quite outstanding as well. The Methuen, Massachusetts native is 12-1 in his last 13 outings (20-3 overall record) and most recently knocked out featherweight veteran, Ricardo Lamas, in the first round of their UFC 238 collision. The one loss separating him from also having a 13 fight winning streak came to Renato “Moicano” Carneiro in April 2018.
It’s safe to assume that Kattar may want to still fight in his home state of Massachusetts for UFC Boston. But who would it be against?
Close to finalization, the card can be seen below.
- Light Heavyweight – 205lbs: Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman
- Flyweight – 125lbs: Maycee Barber vs. Gillian Robertson
- Heavyweight – 207-265lbs: Daniel Spitz vs. Tanner Boser
- Bantamweight – 135lbs: Randy Costa vs. Boston Salmon
- Middleweight – 185lbs: Brandon Allen vs. Eric Spicely
- Middleweight: Darren Stewart vs. Deron Winn
- Flyweight: Molly McCann vs. Diana Belbita
- Welterweight – 170lbs: Sean Brady vs. Court McGee
- Featherweight – 145lbs: Kyle Bochniak vs. Sean Woodson
- Featherweight: Manny Bermudez vs Charles Rosa
- Lightweight – 155lbs: Joe Lauzon vs. Jonathan Pearce
Drake Riggs is an MMA writer based out of Brush Prairie, Washington, USA who specializes in feature pieces, the women's fight scene, lists, news coverage, and rankings. He has been a passionate fan of MMA ever since 2009. Drake has most notably written for BJPenn.com, FanSided, The Body Lock, South China Morning Post, MyMMANews, Cageside Press, Sherdog, The Scrap, and MMA Today. He has also written for and created video content for RT Sport. As for other sports, Drake is a longtime fan of the NFL's Green Bay Packers and Jacksonville Jaguars.You can follow him on Twitter and Instagram: @DrakeRiggs_ . Also check out all of his video content on YouTube at: "Drake Riggs" where he uploads fighter interviews, podshows, and various other types of content.