TLDR
- Khamzat Chimaev lost his first professional fight to Sean Strickland via split decision at UFC 328
- Chimaev posted “See you again soon” on Twitter, hinting at a possible rematch
- UFC CEO Dana White said Chimaev plans to move to light heavyweight due to difficult weight cuts
- Strickland became a two-time UFC middleweight champion with the 48-47, 48-47 victory
- Chimaev has fought only once per year since 2023, suggesting a long wait before his next appearance
Sources: mmafighting.com
Khamzat Chimaev suffered the first loss of his professional career at UFC 328 on Saturday, dropping a split decision to Sean Strickland in the middleweight championship main event. Hours after the fight, Chimaev posted a cryptic message on Twitter that has fans wondering about his next move.
“See you again soon,” Chimaev wrote, leaving his intentions unclear.
Strickland earned a narrow victory with two judges scoring the bout 48-47 in his favor. The win made Strickland a two-time UFC middleweight champion, matching a feat previously accomplished only by Israel Adesanya.
The post-fight atmosphere between the two fighters was surprisingly friendly. Despite weeks of heated trash talk leading up to the event, Chimaev showed respect by placing the championship belt around Strickland’s waist after the decision was announced.
Khamzat Chimaev is laser-focused on Sean Strickland.
According to his brother, Chimaev's team has already requested a rematch for UFC's Abu Dhabi card this October. It’s currently the only fight "Borz" wants.
"We requested the rematch with Strickland," his brother stated.… pic.twitter.com/XVfw5Eo8Ss
— LK Viral (@LinconKenned) May 24, 2026
Weight Cut Issues May Force Division Change
While Chimaev’s tweet suggested a possible rematch, UFC CEO Dana White told reporters that the fighter plans to move up to light heavyweight. White indicated that Chimaev appeared to struggle with his weight cut to 185 pounds this time around.
Chimaev himself had mentioned moving to 205 pounds on multiple occasions before the fight. He expressed interest in becoming a champion at light heavyweight even before suffering this loss.
The conflicting information leaves Chimaev’s future direction uncertain. If he remains at middleweight, an immediate rematch could be on the table given how close the fight was.
Other Challengers Waiting for Strickland
Strickland has several other options for his second title reign if Chimaev moves up in weight. Top contenders Nassourdine Imavov and Brendan Allen both present rematch possibilities for the champion.
Allen must first get past Edmen Shahbazyan in a scheduled June bout. Fresh matchups against rising contenders Caio Borralho and Joe Pyfer are also potential options for Strickland.
Chimaev’s fighting schedule adds another layer of uncertainty to the situation. He has fought just once per year since 2023, suggesting long stretches of inactivity between appearances.
This pattern of infrequent fights means fans may have to wait months before learning Chimaev’s definitive plans. His cryptic social media message offers little clarity about whether he intends to pursue Strickland again or move to a new weight class.
Strickland originally won the middleweight title by defeating Israel Adesanya at UFC 293. His victory over Chimaev at UFC 328 marks his return to championship status after previously losing the belt.
The close nature of the split decision has fueled speculation about a potential rematch. However, White’s comments about Chimaev’s weight cut difficulties suggest the UFC may prefer he compete at light heavyweight going forward.





>