On October 4, the World Lethwei Championship (WLC) returns to Mandalay, Myanmar, with a stacked event named “Fearless Tigers.” This will mark the tenth WLC event, all of which have been held in the ancient sport’s birth country of Myanmar. Eight fights have been scheduled so far, however, none of them will be for a championship.
Order UFC 257: Poirier vs. McGregor 2
Order now to watch every fight live this Saturday!
In the main event, one of the WLC’s most winningest fighters Thway Thit Win Hlaing returns to action in a light middleweight bout after taking a brief hiatus from the sport. The man from Myanmar has defeated the likes of Saw Ba Oo and Shwe Yar Mann and looks to remind fans what they’ve been missing since he last competed in 2017.
His opponent, Burutlek Petchyindee Academy, is a well established Muay Thai competitor who will be making his second appearance in the WLC. In the promotion’s eighth event, he made his Lethwei debut, knocking out former light-welterweight Myanmar national champion Kyaw Zin Latt with only one punch. His impressive debut earned him a date with the formidable Thway Thit Win Hlaing.
Nicola “The Burmese Python” Barke will be making her highly anticipated Lethwei debut in the co-main event against Bianka Balajt from Hungary. Barke, originally from England, will be representing Myanmar on October 4 and has vast experience in Taekwondo and Muay Thai. It will also be her opponent’s first professional Lethwei bout.
Also on the card is Cambodian Thun Chantak, who will be facing off with national Lethwei champion Shuklaine Min. This bout is a top contender for ‘Fight of the Night’ honors.
WLC: Fearless Tigers fight card
- Thway Thit Win Hlaing vs Burutlek Petchyindee Academy – light middleweight (67 to 71kg)
- Nicola Barke vs Bianka Balajt – light welterweight (60 to 63.5kg)
- Mite Yine vs Nguyen Thakh Trung – featherweight (54 to 57kg)
- Shuklaine Min vs Thun Chantak – light welterweight (60 to 63.5kg)
- Thway Thit Maung vs Omar Elouers – light welterweight (60 to 63.5kg)
- Hein Tun Aung vs Auk Chin Lay – lightweight (57 to 60kg)
- Saw Min Naing vs Saw Kaung Htet – light welterweight (60 to 63.5kg)
- Thein Soe vs Soe Win Than – bantamweight (51 to 54kg).
WLC: Fearless Tigers will be available to watch on Canal+ (5:30 pm Myanmar time) and on UFC Fight Pass, where the broadcast will start at 7:00 pm local time.
Steven specialises in MMA and Lethwei. He loves a good 1-2 down the middle.