Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    • About The Body Lock
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Policy
    • Ethics Statement
    • Contact
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    The Body LockThe Body Lock
    • Our News
    • News Aggregator
    • Predictions
    • Odds
    • Watch UFC
    • Order PPV
    • Gambling
    The Body LockThe Body Lock
    Home»Boxing»Boxing News»Ngannou: ‘Outsiders Will Never Win’ After Usyk-Verhoeven Stoppage Sparks Outrage
    Boxing News

    Ngannou: ‘Outsiders Will Never Win’ After Usyk-Verhoeven Stoppage Sparks Outrage

    Francis Ngannou calls Rico Verhoeven 'the winner' after controversial Usyk stoppage, drawing parallels to his own disputed Fury loss
    Sebastian BergmanBy Sebastian BergmanMay 24, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read

    TLDR

    • Francis Ngannou says Rico Verhoeven was robbed in his TKO loss to Oleksandr Usyk after a controversial 11th-round stoppage
    • Video shows the bell may have rung before the referee stopped the fight, with Verhoeven beating the count
    • Ngannou compares the result to his own split-decision loss to Tyson Fury, claiming boxing favors established champions over outsiders
    • The former UFC champion is reconsidering his boxing future and may focus on MMA unless reforms are enacted
    • Ngannou calls for independent oversight and instant-replay mechanisms in major title fights

    Sources: Bloody Elbow | MMA Fighting | ESPN | MMA Junkie

    Francis Ngannou has spoken out about the controversial ending to Oleksandr Usyk’s TKO victory over Rico Verhoeven, saying the Dutch kickboxer was robbed of a deserved win. The former UFC heavyweight champion drew parallels to his own disputed loss to Tyson Fury last year.

    “Outsiders will never win, trust me I know, but Rico was the winner tonight. Period,” Ngannou told BBC Sport after Saturday’s fight in Egypt.

    Usyk defended his WBC and WBA heavyweight titles against Verhoeven in front of the Giza necropolis on May 23. The fight ended in Round 11 when referee Mark Lyson stopped the bout after Verhoeven was knocked down by an uppercut.

    The timing of the stoppage has become the center of controversy. Video footage appears to show the bell ringing before the referee stepped in to halt the action. Social media erupted with fans claiming Verhoeven beat the count and should have been allowed to continue.

    Unofficial scorecards had Verhoeven ahead at the time of the stoppage. The official judges were split, with one scoring it 96-94 for Verhoeven and two seeing it 95-95.

    Outsiders will never win, trust me I know, but Rico was the winner tonight. Period. pic.twitter.com/4QojrxYX2X

    — Francis Ngannou (@francis_ngannou) May 23, 2026

    Ngannou Sees Pattern of Unfair Decisions

    Ngannou says the Usyk-Verhoeven result reminds him of his own experience crossing over to boxing. He lost a split decision to Tyson Fury in October 2023, a result many observers felt should have gone in his favor.

    The MMA star argues that high-profile champions are routinely favored by officials when fighting against outsiders from other combat sports. He suggests the sport feels “rigged” when big names and promotional interests are at stake.

    Ngannou claims fighters from MMA and kickboxing face an uphill battle that goes beyond what happens in the ring. He believes scoring and officiating decisions are stacked against them regardless of their actual performance.


    Betpanda

    The controversy has led Ngannou to reconsider his future in professional boxing. He revealed that the uproar around the Usyk-Verhoeven finish has made him strongly question whether pursuing more boxing matches is worth it.

    Ngannou says fighters invest months of preparation only to have outcomes dictated by “politics and bad decisions” they cannot control. He hinted he may focus on MMA and PFL commitments unless boxing makes changes.

    Calls for Greater Transparency

    Ngannou is now calling for greater transparency and independent oversight to restore fighters’ trust in judges and referees. He urges governing bodies to review the Verhoeven stoppage and consider instant-replay mechanisms in major title fights.

    The former heavyweight champion argues that fan outrage online shows audiences are increasingly skeptical of boxing’s legitimacy. He believes the pattern of controversial decisions is pushing MMA stars away from crossing over into the sport.

    Ngannou publicly sided with Verhoeven after the fight, saying the Dutch heavyweight was denied a fair chance to continue. He describes Verhoeven as being “robbed on the biggest stage” and says fighters pay the price when referees make premature calls.

    Usyk improved his record to 25-0 with the victory, while Verhoeven dropped to 1-1 in his boxing career. The Glory kickboxing champion had been cruising through Round 11 and appeared in position to capture a decision before the knockdown occurred.

    BetOnline

    Get $250 in Free Bets from BetOnline

    Share. Facebook Twitter Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp
    Avatar photo
    Sebastian Bergman
    • Website

    Sebastian is a seasoned sports journalist with a focus on MMA, boxing, and grappling. Having trained in BJJ & boxing, he brings a unique perspective that blends the insight of a journalist, the passion of a spectator, and the experience of a practitioner. His deep understanding of combat sports allows him to deliver informed, engaging coverage from every angle of the fight game.

    Related Posts

    Former UFC Champion Henry Cejudo Scheduled for Misfits Boxing Event

    August 19, 2026 Boxing News 3 Mins Read

    Benn vs Garcia: Can the British Fighter Pull Off a Career-Defining Upset?

    August 4, 2026 Boxing News 4 Mins Read

    Can Anthony Joshua Survive Tyson Fury After Two Knockdowns Against Unknown Fighter?

    August 4, 2026 Boxing News 3 Mins Read
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • YouTube

    Betpanda

    Anthony Hernandez Faces Gregory Rodrigues in UFC Sacramento Main Event

    UFC Odds August 22, 2026

    Anthony Hernandez faces Gregory Rodrigues Saturday in UFC Sacramento’s main event, looking to bounce back from his first loss in five years.

    UFC Sacramento: Spivac vs Petrino Heavyweight Co-Main Event Odds and Preview

    August 22, 2026

    Reinier de Ridder vs Roman Dolidze Set for UFC Sacramento Light Heavyweight Bout

    August 22, 2026

    UFC Sacramento: Judice Opens as Heavy Favorite Over Unbeaten Chaves

    August 22, 2026

    UFC Sacramento: Gaziev and Nzechukwu Both Seek First Win in Months

    August 22, 2026

    MyBookie


    Gambling Disclaimer:
    This site provides information only. We may receive affiliate commissions. Gambling is for adults (18+). Availability depends on your location. Please gamble responsibly. Read our Gambling content policy here.
    Home of the best MMA, Boxing & Combat Sport news,  predictions, picks, tips and more. We bring you the latest betting odds, news, and results for every UFC fight.
    TheBodyLock™ Copyright © 2017 - 2026 Kooc Media Ltd. All rights reserved.
    Registered Company No.05695741
    • About The Body Lock
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Policy
    • Ethics Statement
    • Contact

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.