TLDR
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced he is ending his nine-year retirement from professional boxing
- The 49-year-old boxer signed an exclusive promotional deal with CSI Sports/Fight Sports
- Mayweather will return to professional boxing after his spring exhibition bout with Mike Tyson
- He retired in 2017 with a perfect 50-0 record after defeating Conor McGregor
- Mayweather has competed in eight exhibition matches since his 2017 retirement
Sources: Fox News | ESPN | MMA Fighting
Boxing legend Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced Friday that he is ending his nine-year retirement from professional boxing. The 49-year-old fighter signed an exclusive promotional deal with CSI Sports/Fight Sports for his return to the ring this summer.
Mayweather made the announcement just days before his 49th birthday. He last fought professionally in August 2017, when he defeated mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor by knockout.
“I still have what it takes to set more records in the sport of boxing,” Mayweather said in a statement. “From my upcoming Mike Tyson event to my next professional fight afterwards, no one will generate a bigger gate, have a larger global broadcast audience and generate more money with each event than my events.”
The undefeated champion retired with a perfect 50-0 record and 27 knockouts. His return will put that unblemished record at risk for the first time in nearly a decade.
Floyd Mayweather has announced that he is coming out of retirement to return to professional boxing π pic.twitter.com/jOwrziPu2u
— The Tsonga Scouser βπ½πΏπ¦βπ½ (@MphozaIce) February 21, 2026
Exhibitions Keep Mayweather Active
While retired from professional boxing, Mayweather has remained active in the ring. He has competed in eight exhibition bouts over the past nine years against various opponents.
His exhibition matches included fights against internet influencer Logan Paul in 2021 and YouTuber Mikuru Asakura in 2022. He also fought John Gotti III, grandson of the infamous mafia boss, in two separate exhibition bouts in 2023 and 2024.
Mayweather announced an upcoming exhibition match against 59-year-old Mike Tyson planned for spring 2026. Reports suggest the bout could take place on April 25 in the Democratic Republic of Congo, though no official location or television partner has been confirmed.
A New Landscape in Boxing
Mayweather will return to a boxing world that has changed dramatically since 2017. The current crop of professional fighters is nearly half his age, presenting a different challenge than his previous opponents.
During his prime, Mayweather was arguably the biggest American star in boxing for more than a decade. His superb defensive skills and quick hands made him one of the best boxers of his generation.
He defeated Manny Pacquiao in 2015 in what was the richest fight in boxing history at the time. His “Money May” persona helped him build enormous wealth throughout his career.
Mayweather filed a lawsuit against Showtime earlier this month. He claims the network owes him “at least” $340 million from his reported $1.2 billion in career fight purses.
Richard and Craig Miele, co-founders of CSI Sports/Fight Sports, expressed their excitement about the partnership. “Floyd will once again continue to dominate boxing with the biggest audience and highest gross events of all time,” they said in a statement.
Pacquiao recently returned to professional boxing himself, which could set up a rematch between the two legends. Their first professional meeting in 2015 generated massive revenue and worldwide attention.
Mayweather spent his career as a five-division world champion before walking away from the sport at age 40. Now he plans to resume his professional career approaching age 50.





>