After a stellar start to the million-dollar Bellator featherweight title Grand Prix at Bellator 226, it’s now time to finish up the other side of the opening round matchups at Bellator 228.
Tomorrow night, September 28, the action will go down live in the Los Angeles Forum.
In the evening’s main event, we will see the 145-pound strap contested as Patricio “Pitbull” Freire defends against “The Spaniard,” Juan Archuleta. This will be Pitbull’s first bout back at featherweight since he captured the lightweight title in May by knocking out Michael Chandler in just 61 seconds.
For the challenger in Archuleta, he’s finally getting his long-awaited title opportunity. Currently riding a ridiculous 18-fight win streak that most recently saw him sleep former bantamweight champ, Eduardo Dantas, Archuleta is ready to claim what would be his 10th career title.
In the co-main event, we’ll see a rematch between two legendary MMA figures. Former UFC light heavyweight champion, Lyoto Machida, and former Bellator middleweight champion, Gegard Mousasi, will meet once again.
The duo’s first fight came in February 2014 and saw Machida pick up the unanimous decision win in a fight of the night showing. Since then, they’ve had differing levels of success as Machida has gone 5-4 with a USADA suspension thrown in during 2016. Mousasi, on the other hand, is 11-3 since the loss to Machida and just recently had his eight-fight winning streak snapped thanks to the new champion, Rafael Lovato Jr.
It will be a night of action you won’t want to miss. Below you can see all of the results from today’s weigh-ins.
*William Sriyapai missed weight
Main Card (10:00 PM EST / 7:00 PM PST on DAZN)
- Featherweight – 145lbs: (C)Patricio “Pitbull” Freire (144.9) vs. Juan Archuleta (144.6)
- Middleweight – 185lbs: Lyoto Machida (186) vs. Gegard Mousasi (186)
- Featherweight: AJ McKee (144.9) vs. Georgi Karakhanyan (145)
- Featherweight: Darrion Caldwell (144.9) vs. Henry Corrales (144.4)
- Featherweight: Daniel Weichel (144.2) vs. Saul Rogers (144.8)
Preliminary Card (7:30 PM EST / 4:30 PM PST on DAZN)
- Catchweight – 175lbs: Michael Jasper (174.7) vs. Johnny Cisneros (175.6)
- Catchweight – 130lbs: Benji Gomez (130) vs. Jonathan Santa Maria (129.3)
- Lightweight – 155lbs: Joshua Jones (155.9) vs. Dominic Clark (155.6)
- Featherweight: Weber Almeida (144.5) vs. Castle Williams (144.1)
- Bantamweight – 135lbs: Jason Edwards (134.4) vs. Adrian Najera (135.4)
- Catchweight – 165lbs: Antonio McKee (163.2) vs. William Sriyapai *(167.9)
- Catchweight – 165lbs: Emilio Williams (162.9) vs. Ian Butler (164.8)
- Featherweight: AJ Agazarm (146) vs. Jonathan Quiroz (144.7)
- Middleweight: Andre Walker (184.5) vs. Osman Diaz (184.4)
- Bantamweight: Leandro Higo (136) vs Shawn Bunch (135)
- Strawweight – 115lbs: Ava Knight (114.9) vs. Shannon Goughary (116)
- Catchweight – 133lbs: James Barnes (132.1) vs. David Duran (132)
Drake Riggs is an MMA writer based out of Brush Prairie, Washington, USA who specializes in feature pieces, the women's fight scene, lists, news coverage, and rankings. He has been a passionate fan of MMA ever since 2009. Drake has most notably written for BJPenn.com, FanSided, The Body Lock, South China Morning Post, MyMMANews, Cageside Press, Sherdog, The Scrap, and MMA Today. He has also written for and created video content for RT Sport. As for other sports, Drake is a longtime fan of the NFL's Green Bay Packers and Jacksonville Jaguars.You can follow him on Twitter and Instagram: @DrakeRiggs_ . Also check out all of his video content on YouTube at: "Drake Riggs" where he uploads fighter interviews, podshows, and various other types of content.