Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    • About The Body Lock
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Policy
    • Ethics Statement
    • Contact
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    The Body LockThe Body Lock
    • Our News
    • News Aggregator
    • Predictions
    • Odds
    • Watch UFC
    • Order PPV
    • Gambling
    The Body LockThe Body Lock
    Home»UFC»UFC News»Justin Gaethje Says He Will Not Fight Again in 2026 After UFC Freedom 250
    UFC News

    Justin Gaethje Says He Will Not Fight Again in 2026 After UFC Freedom 250

    Justin Gaethje says he will not fight again in 2026 after winning the lightweight title at UFC Freedom 250, citing damage from his war with Ilia Topuria.
    Sebastian BergmanBy Sebastian BergmanJune 18, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read

    TLDR

    • Justin Gaethje says it is highly unlikely he will fight again in 2026 after winning the undisputed lightweight title
    • The champion cited damage sustained in his victory over Ilia Topuria at UFC Freedom 250 as the reason for the extended break
    • Gaethje emphasized that recovery and family time take priority after years of fighting at a grueling pace
    • The 37-year-old fighter suggested an early 2027 return is more realistic for his first title defense
    • UFC Freedom 250 took place at the White House on Sunday, marking the first organized sporting event at the presidential residence

    Sources: Bloody Elbow | MMA Fighting | MMA Junkie

    Justin Gaethje says it is highly unlikely he will compete again in 2026 after winning the undisputed lightweight championship at UFC Freedom 250. The newly crowned champion told reporters backstage that the damage he sustained during his victory over Ilia Topuria makes another fight this year improbable.

    Gaethje defeated Topuria in the main event at the White House on Sunday in what many observers called a war between the two fighters. The 37-year-old fighter captured the undisputed title by defeating the previously unbeaten Georgian champion.

    Speaking to media after the historic event, Gaethje explained that recovery and time with his family now take priority. He emphasized the need to let his body properly heal before considering his next lightweight title defense.

    Justin Gaethje on the secret to his punches dismantling people’s faces 🤜💥🥴🤜💥😵🤜💥😴 👇

    “One word describes it all and its TIMING.

    “Sending direct lines of energy in straight lines through their body and through their face.”

    via ESPN MMA pic.twitter.com/WqaE1SE1nx

    — Nofanboymma (@nofanboymma) June 18, 2026

    Years of Fighting Take Their Toll

    The Arizona native pointed to the grueling pace he has maintained throughout his career as a factor in his decision. Gaethje has earned 15 postfight bonuses in his 15 UFC appearances and has been involved in some of the most physically demanding fights in the promotion’s history.

    Gaethje’s UFC record stands at 10-5, but those numbers don’t tell the full story of the punishment he has absorbed over nearly a decade with the organization. His fighting style has always prioritized action and entertainment, often at the cost of his own physical wellbeing.

    The new champion suggested that an early 2027 return is more realistic for his first defense of the undisputed lightweight title. This timeline would give him approximately six to eight months to recover from the Freedom 250 bout.

    Historic Event at the White House

    UFC Freedom 250 took place on the South Lawn of the White House, making it the first organized sporting event of any kind at the presidential residence. The event was held to celebrate America’s 250th birthday and President Donald Trump’s 80th birthday.

    The card featured seven fights and was regulated as an official mixed martial arts event after months of logistical planning. The event was initially planned for Independence Day but was moved up to coincide with Flag Day in June.


    Betpanda

    Gaethje’s victory over Topuria unified the lightweight championship, as he held the interim title heading into the bout. Topuria entered the fight with a perfect 17-0 record and had knocked out three elite fighters in his previous appearances.

    The 37-year-old champion has now competed at the highest level of mixed martial arts for nine years. His decision to take an extended break reflects the physical demands of maintaining that level of competition.

    Gaethje confirmed he does not anticipate fighting again in 2026 and will focus on recovery before planning his return to the octagon.

    BetOnline

    Get $250 in Free Bets from BetOnline

    Share. Facebook Twitter Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp
    Avatar photo
    Sebastian Bergman
    • Website

    Sebastian is a seasoned sports journalist with a focus on MMA, boxing, and grappling. Having trained in BJJ & boxing, he brings a unique perspective that blends the insight of a journalist, the passion of a spectator, and the experience of a practitioner. His deep understanding of combat sports allows him to deliver informed, engaging coverage from every angle of the fight game.

    Related Posts

    Khabib Claims He Never Reached His Peak During Legendary 29-0 Career

    August 20, 2026 UFC News 3 Mins Read

    Yair Rodriguez Pulls Out of Noche UFC Main Event Due to Injury

    August 20, 2026 UFC News 3 Mins Read

    Islam Makhachev Sidelined After UFC 330: What Happened to the Champion?

    August 20, 2026 UFC News 3 Mins Read
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • YouTube

    Betpanda

    Anthony Hernandez Faces Gregory Rodrigues in UFC Sacramento Main Event

    UFC Odds August 22, 2026

    Anthony Hernandez faces Gregory Rodrigues Saturday in UFC Sacramento’s main event, looking to bounce back from his first loss in five years.

    UFC Sacramento: Spivac vs Petrino Heavyweight Co-Main Event Odds and Preview

    August 22, 2026

    Reinier de Ridder vs Roman Dolidze Set for UFC Sacramento Light Heavyweight Bout

    August 22, 2026

    UFC Sacramento: Judice Opens as Heavy Favorite Over Unbeaten Chaves

    August 22, 2026

    UFC Sacramento: Gaziev and Nzechukwu Both Seek First Win in Months

    August 22, 2026

    MyBookie


    Gambling Disclaimer:
    This site provides information only. We may receive affiliate commissions. Gambling is for adults (18+). Availability depends on your location. Please gamble responsibly. Read our Gambling content policy here.
    Home of the best MMA, Boxing & Combat Sport news,  predictions, picks, tips and more. We bring you the latest betting odds, news, and results for every UFC fight.
    TheBodyLock™ Copyright © 2017 - 2026 Kooc Media Ltd. All rights reserved.
    Registered Company No.05695741
    • About The Body Lock
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Policy
    • Ethics Statement
    • Contact

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.