The last time we saw ‘The Korean Zombie’ Chan Sung Jung (14-5) step inside the Octagon, it was for the 25th Anniversary of the UFC’s existence. And what an incredible fight and finish he would provide us with.
Jung was originally to face former UFC lightweight champion, Frankie ‘The Answer’ Edgar in the UFC Denver headliner. However, a torn bicep would force Edgar out of the bout replacing him the unorthodox Mexican striker, ‘El Pantera’ Yair Rodriguez.
The pair of exciting fighters would go to war until the very final second of their five-round affair. Unfortunately for Jung, in a fight that he would be winning on the judges’ scorecards… he wouldn’t make it to the bell. Rodriguez would land arguably the most spectacular strike ever thrown in MMA history at the last possible moment as Jung pressed forward. It would be a duck under elbow uppercut that closed the show in favor of Rodriguez.
Now, Jung is ready to get back in the win column as Combate’s Raphael Marinho is reporting that a bout between the South Korean superstar and Brazil’s Renato ‘Moicano’ Carneiro (13-2-1) has been verbally agreed to for UFC Greenville on June 22.
Ultimate encaminhou Renato Moicano x Zumbi Coreano para o dia 22 de junho, no UFC Greenville. Contratos ainda não estão assinados, mas há acordo verbal. Não tenho a informação ainda sobre ser luta principal. #feedmma
— Raphael Marinho (@raphamarinho) May 2, 2019
“Ultimate forwarded Renato Moicano x Zombie Korean to June 22 at UFC Greenville. Contracts are not yet signed, but there is verbal agreement. I don’t have the information yet about being a main fight. #feedmma” Marinho’s tweet read.
For Moicano, he’ll be looking to rebound off of a rough loss suffered his last time out at UFC Fortaleza when he was TKO’d in round two by featherweight legend, former two-time UFC champion, Jose Aldo.
UFC Greenville is still taking shape. The current line-up can be seen below.
- Heavyweight – 207-265lbs: Allen Crowder vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
- Middleweight – 185lbs: Bevon Lewis vs. Darren Stewart
- Strawweight – 115lbs: Ashley Yoder vs. Syuri Kondo
- Flyweight – 125lbs: Andrea Lee vs. Montana De La Rosa
- Middleweight: Markus Perez vs. Deron Winn
- Flyweight: Molly McCann vs. Ariane Lipski
- Middleweight: Alessio Di Chirico vs. Kevin Holland
- Bantamweight – 135lbs: Andre Ewell vs. Anderson Dos Santos
- Welterweight – 170lbs: Bryan Barberena vs. Randy Brown