Amanda Ribas and Paige VanZant will get the UFC 251 main card started at 10 pm ET. Watch the UFC 251 PPV live stream on ESPN+.
Odds: Ribas (-660) vs. VanZant (+540)
UFC 254: Khabib vs. Gaethje is this Saturday!
PPV main card starts at 2 pm ET. Watch live on ESPN+.
Ribas has been most impressive in her UFC career to date. After joining the UFC in 2019, she has since won all three fights against Emily Whitmire, Mackenzie Dern, and Randa Markos.
VanZant, who is now 2-3 in her last five fights, steps into this fight as a heavy betting underdog. The 26-year-old broke her losing streak in January 2019 when she defeated Rachael Ostovich by second-round armbar.
— UFC (@ufc) July 10, 2020
Ribas vs. VanZant play-by-play
Stay tuned for live play-by-play updates and highlights from UFC 251.
Ribas takes control of the center of the octagon and opens with an inside leg kick. As she moves into punching range, VanZant responds with punches of her own. Ribas feints and lands a body kick. She moves in again and VanZant lands as she comes forward. Ribas enters the clinch and looks strong here. She takes VanZant down to the mat and maintains a scarf hold. She looks heavy on the top of VanZant’s shoulders. VanZant tries to walk her legs up the cage and escape. Ribas laying heavy and maintaining the position. VanZant scrambles and Ribas goes for an armbar. She’s got the arm and VanZant attempts to stack her and put pressure on the lower half of the body to pass through to a safe position. But Ribas cranks on the armbar and forces VanZant to tap.
A brilliant first-round submission win for Ribas.
Official Result: Amanda Ribas def. Paige VanZant via submission (armbar) – R1, 2:21
UFC 251 Results
Saturday, July 11 – UFC Fight Island, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi
- Kamaru Usman def. Jorge Masvidal via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 49-46) 🏆 (play-by-play)
- Alexander Volkanovski def. Max Holloway via split decision (48-47, 48-47, 47-48) 🏆 (play-by-play)
- Petr Yan def. Jose Aldo via TKO (ground and pound) – R5, 3:24 🏆 (play-by-play)
- Rose Namajunas def. Jessica Andrade via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29) (play-by-play)
- Amanda Ribas def. Paige VanZant via submission (armbar) – R1, 2:21 (play-by-play)
- Jiri Prochazka def. Volkan Oezdemir via KO (punches) – R2, 0:49
- Muslim Salikhov def. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos via split decision
- Makwan Amirkhani def. Danny Henry via submission (anaconda choke) – R1, 3:15
- Leonardo Santos def. Roman Bogatov via unanimous decision
- Marcin Tybura def. Maxim Grishin via unanimous decision
- Raulian Paiva def. Zhalgas Zhumagulov via unanimous decision
- Karol Rosa def. Vanessa Melo via unanimous decision
- Davey Grant def. Martin Day via KO/TKO (left hook) – R3, 2:38
— Nitrogen Sports (@NitrogenSports) July 12, 2020
— UFC (@ufc) July 12, 2020
Jake Nichols is The Body Lock's Editor in Chief. Previously, he was the MMA Editor at RealSport.