TLDR
- Glover Teixeira wants Alex Pereira to fight Josh Hokit in his heavyweight return
- Pereira will stay at heavyweight despite losing interim title to Ciryl Gane via knockout
- Teixeira says Hokit has been trash talking and suggested Pereira should “knock his ass out”
- Winner of potential Pereira-Hokit fight would likely earn a heavyweight title shot
- No timetable announced for Pereira’s return as team wants more preparation time after busy schedule
Sources: boxingnews.com | middleeasy.com
Glover Teixeira has identified the ideal next opponent for Alex Pereira following his recent heavyweight title loss. The veteran coach told Ariel Helwani that Josh Hokit represents the perfect matchup for Pereira’s return to the octagon.
Pereira lost the interim heavyweight championship to Ciryl Gane at UFC White House earlier this month via knockout. The defeat raised questions about whether the former two-division champion would remain at 265 pounds.
Teixeira confirmed that Pereira plans to continue competing at heavyweight despite the setback. The coach dismissed any talk of his fighter dropping back down to light heavyweight.
Hokit Emerges as Natural Matchup
According to Teixeira, Hokit has been talking trash about Pereira in recent weeks. The coach suggested his fighter should “go over there and knock his ass out and get back to the top.”
The winner of a potential Pereira-Hokit fight would likely earn a heavyweight title shot. Teixeira believes the existing trash talk between the fighters creates a natural storyline for a numbered card co-main event.
Glover Teixeira says Alex Pereira is going to stay at heavyweight.#HelwaniShow pic.twitter.com/GDmUyQz1P6
— Jed I. Goodman © (@jedigoodman) August 18, 2026
Pereira holds a professional record of 13-4 and previously captured UFC gold at both middleweight and light heavyweight. He compiled a 10-3 record in the UFC before moving up to heavyweight.
The Gane fight marked Pereira’s first test at heavyweight. The size and power of the French fighter proved too much for Pereira in that initial matchup.
Training Camp Plans Next Move
Teixeira revealed that Pereira wants to maintain an active fight schedule. However, the camp plans to take more time before booking the next appearance.
Pereira had been competing on a demanding schedule with back-to-back bookings before the Gane fight. The team wants to ensure proper preparation time for his heavyweight return.
No official timetable has been announced for when Pereira will fight again. The UFC has not commented on potential matchmaking for the former champion.
Hokit represents a rising contender in the heavyweight division. A victory over Pereira would establish him as a legitimate title challenger.
Pereira’s knockout loss to Gane was his first fight at heavyweight after dominating two other weight classes. The former kickboxing champion had enjoyed a meteoric rise through the UFC ranks.
Teixeira’s comments to BJPenn.com outlined the strategic thinking behind targeting Hokit. The coach views the matchup as both winnable and meaningful for title contention.
The potential fight would test whether Pereira can compete with top-tier heavyweights. His speed and striking ability could pose problems for Hokit despite the size difference inherent in the division.




>