Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    • About The Body Lock
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Policy
    • Ethics Statement
    • Contact
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube
    The Body LockThe Body Lock
    • Our News
    • News Aggregator
    • Predictions
    • Odds
    • Watch UFC
    • Order PPV
    • Gambling
    The Body LockThe Body Lock
    Home»UFC»UFC News»Carlos Prates Promises to Knock Out Islam Makhachev: ‘I Will Bring That Belt to Brazil’
    UFC News

    Carlos Prates Promises to Knock Out Islam Makhachev: ‘I Will Bring That Belt to Brazil’

    Welterweight champion Islam Makhachev wants to fight again before year's end and wonders why potential contenders didn't fight to determine his next opponent.
    Sebastian BergmanBy Sebastian BergmanAugust 17, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read

    TLDR

    • Islam Makhachev defended his welterweight title against Ian Machado Garry at UFC 330 in Philadelphia
    • Carlos Prates and Michael Morales both attended the event as potential title contenders
    • Makhachev suggested the UFC should have matched Prates and Morales against each other on the card
    • The 34-year-old champion wants to fight again in November or December to get two fights in 2026
    • Prates told Makhachev he would knock him out and become Brazil’s first welterweight champion

    Sources: mmafighting.com | mmasucka.com | mmamania.com

    UFC welterweight champion Islam Makhachev believes the promotion missed an opportunity at UFC 330 to determine his next challenger.

    After defeating Ian Machado Garry by unanimous decision in Philadelphia on Saturday, Makhachev questioned why top contenders Carlos Prates and Michael Morales didn’t fight on the same card.

    “Let them fight,” Makhachev said at the UFC 330 post-fight press conference. “Why are they not fighting on this card to see who is the No. 1 contender? It’s OK.”

    Both Prates and Morales sat cageside for the main event, each with a case for a title shot. Prates is ranked No. 1 in the welterweight division, while Morales holds the No. 3 spot.

    Champion Wants Quick Turnaround

    Makhachev, who turned 34 in September, wants to fight again before 2026 ends. He hopes for a November or December return to get two fights in this calendar year.

    πŸ˜‚πŸ† Carlos Prates tells Michael Morales he needs 10 months to cut weight, so Carlos should be the one to get the title shot against Makhachev first.

    β€œBro, 10 months is a good amount of time to cut weight. I know you, bro, you cut a lot.”

    Morales seems to agree.

    πŸŽ₯ @mmacrash pic.twitter.com/YrcwDunDNl

    — Home of Fight (@Home_of_Fight) August 16, 2026

    “Because I am not 20 something,” Makhachev explained. “I am 34 years old. I have to fight as soon as possible because I don’t cut much weight, I don’t have any big injuries, just have to double check my nose, that’s it.”

    The champion said he was already disappointed about waiting until August for the Garry fight. He had wanted to compete earlier in the year, even offering to fight on the UFC White House card that took place over the summer.

    Makhachev said he called his manager Ali Abdelaziz at the beginning of summer to express his desire to fight more frequently. That request didn’t materialize into an earlier booking.


    Betpanda

    Prates Sends Warning to Champion

    Carlos Prates didn’t wait long after the main event to send a message to Makhachev. The Brazilian fighter, who wore a shirt reading “I’m Next,” confronted the champion with a direct threat.

    “I will knock you out, bro. I will knock you out,” Prates said. “I will bring that belt to Brazil. The first welterweight champion from Brazil.”

    The 32-year-old Brazilian is coming off a technical knockout win over Jack Della Maddalena in May. He holds a 24-7 professional record but did lose a unanimous decision to Garry earlier in 2025.

    When asked about fighting Morales to determine the top contender, Prates dismissed the idea. “No, I’m gonna beat Islam and then we’ll fight,” Prates said. “I’m gonna fight Islam in December, and then I’m gonna fight in April.”

    Makhachev appeared on the Paramount+ post-fight show and gave his opinion on who deserves the shot. “Morales also is good, but I don’t remember the last time he fought,” Makhachev said. “If you ask who is more deserving, I think Carlos Prates.”

    Morales has not competed since knocking out Sean Brady at UFC 322. The 19-0 fighter served as the official backup for the UFC 330 main event.

    Betting site BetOnline.ag has already released opening odds for both potential matchups. Makhachev is listed as a -250 favorite over Prates (+205) and a -200 favorite against Morales (+175).

    The champion praised both contenders for pushing him in training. “We have some real contenders in this division,” Makhachev said. “These guys Morales, Prates, Shavkat [Rakhmonov], they make me training everyday more harder. Because I see this is the real fighters who can give me good fights.”

    Makhachev improved his record to 29-1 with the victory over Garry. He became welterweight champion after moving up from lightweight, where he previously held that division’s title.

    BetOnline

    Get $250 in Free Bets from BetOnline

    Share. Facebook Twitter Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp
    Avatar photo
    Sebastian Bergman
    • Website

    Sebastian is a seasoned sports journalist with a focus on MMA, boxing, and grappling. Having trained in BJJ & boxing, he brings a unique perspective that blends the insight of a journalist, the passion of a spectator, and the experience of a practitioner. His deep understanding of combat sports allows him to deliver informed, engaging coverage from every angle of the fight game.

    Related Posts

    Max Holloway Challenges Makhachev’s Double-Belt Celebration After UFC 330

    August 17, 2026 UFC News 3 Mins Read

    Makhachev Dismisses Morales as Next Contender Following UFC 330 Victory

    August 17, 2026 UFC News 3 Mins Read

    Watch: Ian Garry Warns Michael Morales to Stop Talking and Start Fighting

    August 17, 2026 UFC News 3 Mins Read
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • YouTube

    Betpanda

    Max Holloway Challenges Makhachev’s Double-Belt Celebration After UFC 330

    UFC News August 17, 2026

    Former UFC champ Max Holloway criticized Islam Makhachev for carrying two belts after UFC 330, sparking a response from the welterweight champion.

    Makhachev Dismisses Morales as Next Contender Following UFC 330 Victory

    August 17, 2026

    Watch: Ian Garry Warns Michael Morales to Stop Talking and Start Fighting

    August 17, 2026

    How Ian Machado Garry Plans to Bounce Back from UFC 330 Loss

    August 17, 2026

    Carlos Prates Promises to Knock Out Islam Makhachev: ‘I Will Bring That Belt to Brazil’

    August 17, 2026

    MyBookie


    Gambling Disclaimer:
    This site provides information only. We may receive affiliate commissions. Gambling is for adults (18+). Availability depends on your location. Please gamble responsibly. Read our Gambling content policy here.
    Home of the best MMA, Boxing & Combat Sport news,Β  predictions, picks, tips and more. We bring you the latest betting odds, news, and results for every UFC fight.
    TheBodyLockβ„’ Copyright Β© 2017 - 2026 Kooc Media Ltd. All rights reserved.
    Registered Company No.05695741
    • About The Body Lock
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Policy
    • Ethics Statement
    • Contact

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.