TLDR
- Amanda Nunes is waiting for Kayla Harrison to recover from neck surgery that canceled their UFC 324 fight in January
- Nunes hopes the rescheduled fight can headline the historic UFC event at the White House on June 14
- The 37-year-old Nunes claims she’s in the best shape of her career despite nearly three years away from competition
- Harrison underwent surgery for herniated disks and is expected to need six months to recover fully
- Nunes and Harrison are former training partners who maintain mutual respect despite the postponement
Sources: MMA Fighting | BJPenn.com | UFC Brasil | MMA Junkie
Former UFC two-division champion Amanda Nunes is waiting patiently for Kayla Harrison to recover from neck surgery and hopes their fight can headline the historic UFC event at the White House on June 14.
Nunes was scheduled to challenge Harrison for the bantamweight title at UFC 324 on January 24, but the fight was canceled when Harrison underwent surgery for herniated disks in her neck. The injury had been bothering Harrison for years before she finally had the procedure done in New York City.
Despite the cancellation, Nunes still traveled to Las Vegas for the event and stayed to help coach Priscila Cachoeira for her UFC Vegas 113 fight. The Brazilian star is now starting a coaching career while maintaining her own training regimen.
“I think she has six months to recover and give some feedback to the UFC,” Nunes told UFC Brasil. “I saw that she’s already back at the gym and that makes me really happy.”
Former Training Partners Show Mutual Respect
Nunes and Harrison are former training partners at American Top Team, and “The Lioness” has shown nothing but class regarding the postponement. She emphasized that she needs Harrison healthy for their fight to happen.
“I wish her all the best in her recovery and everything because of course I need her,” Nunes said. “How could I wish her bad? I want her to recover as fast as possible, and I’ll be right here.”
The 37-year-old retired from the sport in 2023 after defeating Irene Aldana to defend her bantamweight title. She won 16 of her 18 UFC fights, including victories over legends like Ronda Rousey, Cris Cyborg, Holly Holm, and Miesha Tate.
Nunes said she feels the same hunger and motivation that drove her to become champion for the first time. She is determined to reclaim the bantamweight belt she vacated when she announced her retirement.
“I am the Lioness,” Nunes declared. “When I decided to come back, I jumped in head first again. I’m living my dream all over again from scratch.”
Peak Physical Condition Despite Three-Year Layoff
The Brazilian fighter dismissed concerns about ring rust, even though a White House fight with Harrison would mark nearly three years since her last appearance in the octagon.
“This camp was perfect,” Nunes said. “My body, I’ve never been able to get into this kind of shape before.”
Nunes emphasized that her age and experience have made her a better fighter than ever before. She believes she is still evolving as an athlete at 37 years old.
“I’m extremely mature, both outside and inside the cage,” Nunes explained. “I’ve learned a lot, and I’m still discovering myself as an athlete, discovering things I had never discovered before.”
Harrison was riding a three-fight winning streak in the UFC with victories over Holly Holm, Ketlen Vieira, and Julianna Peña. She captured the bantamweight title in June 2025 with a submission win over Peña after a successful career in the PFL.
The champion appeared emotional in a video posted on social media after her surgery, wearing a neck brace and apologizing to fans and Nunes. She did not provide a specific timeline for her return but said her recovery had begun.
Nunes confirmed she will remain ready and in top condition while Harrison completes her rehabilitation. The fight’s future now depends entirely on when Harrison can return to full training and competition.





>