TLDR
- Islam Makhachev won the welterweight title at UFC 322, defeating Jack Della Maddalena by unanimous decision
- Makhachev extended his winning streak to 16 fights, tying Anderson Silva’s UFC record
- Former champion Kamaru Usman expressed interest in fighting Makhachev next
- Makhachev said he feels much stronger at welterweight and prefers Usman as his next opponent
- Michael Morales and Carlos Prates also won at UFC 322, moving up in welterweight rankings
Islam Makhachev captured the welterweight title at UFC 322 in New York, defeating Jack Della Maddalena by unanimous decision. The victory made him the 11th fighter in UFC history to hold titles in two divisions.
Makhachev controlled the fight with his wrestling and grappling skills. He used techniques from his Sambo training and Dagestani wrestling background to dominate all phases of the match. The win extended his winning streak to 16 consecutive victories, matching Anderson Silva’s UFC record.
The 34-year-old Russian fighter has now moved to the top of the UFC’s pound-for-pound rankings. He replaced lightweight champion Ilia Topuria, whose belt Makhachev previously held before vacating it in June. This marks his return to the number one spot in the rankings.
Makhachev said he feels much better fighting at welterweight than lightweight. He explained that weight cuts at 155 pounds left him performing at only 50 to 70 percent of his capability. The lighter weight cuts at welterweight have allowed him to recover better and feel stronger in the cage.
“I feel more power, I can hold him, I can do whatever,” Makhachev said after the fight. He added that controlling his opponent felt easier at this weight class. The champion said his life has changed because he no longer has to worry constantly about extreme weight management.
First Title Defense Options
Former welterweight champion Kamaru Usman has emerged as the leading candidate for Makhachev’s first title defense. Usman currently ranks eighth in the welterweight division. Both fighters are managed by Ali Abdelaziz, and they had previously discussed a potential matchup when Usman held the title.
Kamaru Usman Admits Islam Makhachev Is a Nightmare to Fight 😳💀 #ufc #mma pic.twitter.com/4epwGYJo5j
— athletic feed (@athleticfeed) November 19, 2025
Makhachev told reporters that Usman would be his choice for the next fight. “If you give me the choice and ask me who I want to fight, I will take Kamaru,” he said. The champion acknowledged that younger contenders like Michael Morales and Carlos Prates fought well at UFC 322, but he believes Usman could beat them both.
Usman recently defeated Joaquin Buckley in his most recent fight. The 38-year-old former champion said Makhachev presents a challenge that excites him. He compared the potential matchup to his fights against Colby Covington, which pushed him to deliver some of his best performances.
“When I look at a guy like Islam, I don’t really see holes and that’s something that scares me,” Usman said on the Pound4Pound Show. He explained that facing an opponent without clear weaknesses brings out his most competitive side. The former champion believes he still poses a threat to anyone in the division despite his age.
Rising Contenders and Rankings Changes
UFC 322 featured other major welterweight fights that reshaped the division. Michael Morales stopped Sean Brady in the first round, jumping to third in the rankings. Carlos Prates knocked out former champion Leon Edwards in the second round with a straight left at the 1:28 mark.
Edwards has now lost three fights in a row. The 34-year-old British fighter dropped five places to ninth in the welterweight rankings. His knockout loss removed him from title contention for the immediate future.
Henry Cejudo suggested on his podcast that Prates and Morales should fight each other to determine the next contender. Usman agreed that both young fighters need to prove themselves against elite grapplers. He said their skills on the ground remain untested against wrestlers of his or Makhachev’s level.
Ian Machado Garry says Islam Makhachev "will fight me" after #UFCQatar, not "has-been who has no knees" in Kamaru Usman
📰 https://t.co/tSKcTU2bbu pic.twitter.com/WpoXXHxEID
— MMA Fighting (@MMAFighting) November 19, 2025
Ian Garry and Belal Muhammad will fight at UFC Qatar on Saturday. The outcome of that fight could heavily influence who gets the next title shot. Garry ranks sixth while Muhammad sits at number two in the welterweight division.
Makhachev said he will be ready to fight anyone the UFC chooses. His coach Javier Mendez confirmed that a fight with Usman remains a viable option given the current state of the division.





>