Conor McGregor returns to action this Saturday night when he faces Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in the main event of UFC 246.
The relatively unexpected welterweight clash marks the first time McGregor returns to the Octagon following his fourth-round submission defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in October 2018.
Cerrone has fought five times in the time that McGregor has been away from the sport. A memorable winning streak that included victories against Mike Perry, Alexander Hernandez, and Al Iaquinta had “Father Cerrone” rising through the rankings once again. But after successive defeats against Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje, Cerrone now finds himself in the same place he has been for most of his career — somewhere just beneath the best guys in the division.
Now less than one week out from the welterweight main event, oddsmakers have Conor McGregor as a big betting favorite.
The rest of the UFC 246 pay-per-view main card includes a women’s bantamweight clash between Holly Holm and Raquel Pennington, a heavyweight battle between Aleksei Oleinik and Maurice Greene, a women’s strawweight fight featuring Claudia Gadelha and Alexa Grasso, and Anthony Pettis vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira serving as the lightweight main card opener.
UFC 246 Fight Card
Saturday, January 18 – Las Vegas
Main Card (10 pm ET on ESPN+ PPV)
- Conor McGregor vs. Donald Cerrone
- Holly Holm vs. Raquel Pennington
- Aleksei Oleinik vs. Maurice Greene
- Claudia Gadelha vs. Alexa Grasso
- Anthony Pettis vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira
Preliminary Card (8 pm ET on
- Roxanne Modafferi vs. Maycee Barber
- Andre Fili vs. Sodiq Yusuff
- Drew Dober vs. Nasrat Haqparast
- Chas Skelly vs. Grant Dawson
Early Preliminary Card (6:15 pm on ESPN+)
- Aleksa Camur vs. Justin Ledet
- Tim Elliott vs. Askar Askarov
- Brian Kelleher vs. Ode Osbourne
- Sabina Mazo vs. JJ Aldrich
Formerly the lead MMA Editor at RealSport.