James Gallagher (8-1) returned to winning ways by defeating Steven Graham (6-4) in front of a packed 3Arena in Dublin, Ireland.
Despite the fact that Gallagher was handed a relatively beatable opponent at Bellator 217, the matchup was still a high-stakes one considering that he was stepping back into the cage for the first time since his first-ever career defeat in August last year. On that day, Gallagher was crushed by underdog Ricky Bandejas in the first round.
This time around, it was all Gallagher. The Irish bantamweight needed just 2 minutes and 30 seconds to sink in the fight-ending rear-naked choke finish and record his seventh career finish by way of submission.
— Bellator MMA (@BellatorMMA) February 23, 2019
Overall, the event was a major success for Bellator, who continue to make major moves in Europe. The promotion also announced today that they will be returning to Dublin in September for another Irish-heavy fight card.
In the co-main event, Myles Price (11-7) managed one of the biggest wins of his career to date by defeating Peter Queally (11-5) in an all-Irish lightweight fight.
Read on for full results.
Bellator 217 results
- James Gallagher def. Steven Graham via submission (rear-naked choke) – R1, 2:30
- Myles Price def. Peter Queally via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)
- Kiefer Crosbie def. Daniel Oelkniczak via submission (rear-naked choke) – R1
- Richie Smullen def. Adam Gustab via unanimous decision
- Charlie Ward def. Jamie Stephenson via KO/TKO (left hook) – R1, 0:34
- Paul Redmond def. Charlie Leary via unanimous decision
- Richard Kiely def. Mickael Bucher via KO/TKO (punch) – R1, 4:19
- Walter Gahadza def. Ruben Crawford via KO/TKO (head kick) – R1
- Ryan Curtis def. Luis Gonzalez via KO/TKO – R1
- Leah McCourt def. Hatice Ozyurt via KO/TKO (doctor stoppage) – R1, 5:00
- Olga Rubin def. Iony Razafiarison via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Will Fleury def. Shaun Taylor via submission (rear-naked choke) – R2
- Alfie Davis def. Daniele Scatizzi via unanimous decision
- Chris Duncan def. Sam Slater via KO/TKO – R1
- Dylan Logan def. Andrew Murphy via submission (armbar) – R1
- George Courtney def. Ian Cleary via submission (guillotine choke) – R3, 0:54
Jake Nichols is The Body Lock's Editor in Chief. Previously, he was the MMA Editor at RealSport.